An Analysis of Art




SUNSET IN HOPE ALASKA by Amanda Faith Thompson 


How I came across this painting

As I’ve gotten older and discovered a new appreciation for art, the pieces I find I like the most are Alaska's landscapes. An artist I have grown to like is Amanda Thompson. She is from Anchorage, Alaska, and uses bright colors to capture the beauty of Alaska's mountains, animals, flowers, and more. When visiting Denali, I first viewed this painting on a postcard in a little gift shop. I was immediately drawn to the brightness of the colors. I remember buying it with the intent to keep it on a shelf in my room. I ended up sending it to one of my good friends who lives in Utah, who had never been to Alaska but had always wanted to come visit. When I have my own house I would love to decorate it with paintings of Alaska like this one.


Overview/Elements

 The painting depicts an opening in the mountain ranges across an inlet in Hope Alaska. The intensity and hue of the piece bring the land and sunset to life. I also think it is fascinating how she uses color to show movement, you can see it most clearly in the clouds.  The painting also has a lot of value, the darkness of the mountains helps bring out the lightness from the setting sun. We can see how the clouds cast shadows over the mountain, showing where the sun still shines along the bottom. The contrast she used when painting the sunset is interesting too, the use of darker blues shows the viewer the tops of the clouds where the light doesn't reach. Another element that is used in the painting is space/perspective. I am not sure if the landscape in the lower part of the painting shows trees or grass. However, you can see how the landscape stretches into the distance where the mountains come together and the river flows. You can also see how perspective is being shown through the clouds, they become lighter the farther away and closer to the sun's light. I feel like the use of perspective allows the viewer to see more in-depth into the landscape and have a sense of where the painting starts and ends. It almost seems like you're looking through a lens, and you can picture the view the painting is replicating. Whenever I see paintings of Alaska’s landscape, it brings me a sense of joy and pride that I live in such a beautiful place. Alaska’s beauty is truly unique, and the artists who can bring that beauty to life on canvas are one of a kind. I could not find an exact date for when the painting was published, but Amanda has been a professional artist since 2000 so I imagine this piece was made somewhat recently.


About the Artist

Amanda Thompson grew up in Anchorage Alaska and went to college at Hillsdale University in Michigan where she took her first design class and instantly found out she wanted to be an artist. She now continues to take and teach classes in Alaska, Europe, and Miami. Her work solely focuses on the beauty of Turnagain Arm near Anchorage as well as Alaska wildlife. She uses oil and watercolor to bring Alaska’s landscape to life on canvas and wood. She sells affordable prints, stickers, pillows, and more on her website which is awesome. I encourage you to check out more of her work if you also share a love for Alaska-themed artwork.

 




Bibliography 

Thompson, Amanda. “Hope, Alaska Sunset Art Print from Oil Painting by Amanda Faith Thompson.” Hope, Alaska Sunset Art Print from Oil Painting by Amanda Faith Thompson, www.amandafaith.art/warehouse/art_print_products/hope-sunset?product_gallery=44142&product_id=4169064. Accessed 31 Aug. 2023. 


Comments

  1. Hi Regan. I love paintings like these, they are simple but you can still get all the detail you need. The sunset shining on the clouds, all of the hills and different trees in the foreground, the glistening blue water in the middle, and the formidable mountains watching over it all. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the use of color in this painting. Thompson didn't necessarily use a lot of shades, using black mixed with the colors, in this piece, but mainly using color as a tool to communicate light. The warm colors illuminating the cool colors of the sky, mountains and water. This also makes the so much more vibrant really communicating the sheer amount of colors and brightness you see in the Alaska countryside that can often be hard to replicate in photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Regan, great post. I also really love the usage and choice of colors Thompson used within her painting; it makes it feel raw. I also really enjoyed the way you formatted your post and will have to use that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Regan Gray! I love the art piece that you picked for this project. I also enjoy Alaskan artwork, since I am from here it gives me a welcoming feeling. I agree with how the colors make the clouds look like they are moving in the sky, even the grass looks like it is windy and it's blowing around. Amanda Thompson uses perspective to make the mountains appear more in the distance than the land. That is cool that she teaches classes in Anchorage, AK, I'm going to have to check that out next time I'm down there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Regan, I agree with what you have said here the movement in the clouds is very obvious, I liked how you pointed this out because it would be easily overlooked by the color work. The layout of your analysis was well done. This artist does a great job of capturing Alaska's beauty. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World War 1 And Its Influences On The Arts: Surrealism

Ukiyo-e : Japanese Art

The Supper at Emmaus - Baroque blog